Hey you! Welcome to my best sandalwood cologne review for 2023.
After researching some of the most popular scents, I selected the best ones based on quality, fragrance notes, longevity, projection, and value for money.
These are by far the best smelling sandalwood colognes I could find.
Look no further than this list for colognes with an intensity ranging from a subtle to dominant sandalwood accord. Sandalwood smells wonderful when blended with additional fragrances, but it also carries its own as a singular scent. You can feel purposeful and confident when wearing any of the fragrances on this list.
Ready to narrow down your list of the best sandalwood colognes?
Let’s get into it!
Top 5 Best Sandalwood Cologne Picks
This list considers the best picks for singular and blended sandalwood colognes. They’re impactful, yet balanced, helping you to leave a memorable impression on everyone you come in contact with.
1. Best Everyday Sandalwood Cologne: Vince Camuto Terra
- Vince Camuto Terra for Men
- 3.4 oz Eau de Toilette Spray
- Vince Camuto
The Vince Camuto fashion house put a slight spin on the typical designer fragrance when they created this eau de toilette. Moderately more concentrated than a cologne, I still thought this fragrance was worth adding to the list.
Terra, meaning earth in Italian, is a clear liquid poured into a 100 mL (3.4 fl oz) clear glass spray with metal and faux leather detailing.
The fragrance notes are surprising but work well together. Initially, there’s a burst of freshness from its citrus accords followed by tart rhubarb. This freshness is extended by the clean green scent notes produced by geranium blooms.
In comes vanilla and tonka bean along with sandalwood and additional wood notes. Vanilla, you know but tonka bean might be less familiar to you. It’s a complex scent note that can smell almond-like, spicy, sweet, smooth, and slightly fruity. Together, the vanilla and tonka bean notes balance out all of the woods, making for a more mellow fragrance.
Terra can be worn year-round due to its balanced impact. The scent will last at least four hours during the day, but you might have to reapply it in the evening.
You’ll definitely be noticed, but Terra isn’t an offensive fragrance. It’s light enough to wear to work events or date nights.
- Scent can be worn daily
- Affordable price
- Subtle impact
- Fresh and earthy
- Fragrance might be too light for some
- Others may find it too sweet
2. Most Subtle: Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood Cologne
- SOPHISTICATED & REFINED: Our Sandalwood cologne is a fresh update to a subtle classic firmly anchored with soft base notes of sandalwood, tonka and cedarwood.
- SANDALWOOD: Soft base notes of sandalwood, tonka and cedarwood, while delicate middle accords of lavender, thyme and jasmin blend easily with fruity twists of pineapple and melon. Top notes of lemon and bergamot give a perfect finishing touch.
- HISTORY: Truefitt is mentioned throughout modern English literature as a bastion of style and the highest quality service - a tradition we are proud to continue today.
- GROOMED TO PERFECTION: Our products are formulated with an exquisite blend of rare, natural and sophisticated essences. Our offering includes a full line of shaving, fragrance, hair and bath products to provide a daily grooming solution for the modern man.
- TRUEFITT & HILL: Recognised as the finest traditional gentlemen's barber and perfumer in London, has provided discerning gentlemen with only the finest in grooming products and services.
For an even lighter fragrance, you might enjoy this exquisite Sandalwood Cologne by Truefitt & Hill. This is a historically significant men’s grooming company that was founded in London in 1805.
A frosted glass bottle with metal lid holds 100 mL (3.4 fl oz) of cologne.
Fresh top notes include bergamot and lemon with herbal and sweet melon accords. At the heart of this classically modern scent is rose, geranium, muguet, and lavender.
Muguet (lily-of-the-valley) carries herbal notes from the top layer into the middle. It’s fresh, sweet, and citrusy, with the addition of spice. Lavender is the link between muguet and the other two floral notes since this herb smells as sweet as it does floral. Rose and geranium add a timeless quality to the fragrance.
Ending with sandalwood, amber, musk, tonka bean, and moss – these notes offer a rich, velvety finish reminiscent of taking a short walk through the woods.
Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood Cologne is a well-liked scent by most distinguished gentlemen. It will last throughout the day and into the evening and works as a year-round signature scent.
- Reasonable price
- Subtle, sophisticated scent
- Made by a well-established company
- Fragrance might seem too subtle for some
3. Most Masculine: Tru Western Outlaw Men’s Cologne
- Fresh Shave: Outlaw is crafted to smell like a fresh, clean vintage shave. Crafted to be rugged, yet composed, the scent seizes the senses with an opening hit of refreshing bergamot, lavender and fir balsam.
- Provocative & Refreshing: At its heart, this men's fragrance has an audacious woody center of green fir fused with the sensuality of amber, sandalwood and mahogany, leaving an iconic signature trail, not soon forgotten.
- Bold and Masculine: With a refreshingly audacious scent, this men's cologne is a perfect complement to your after shave.
- Find your Fragrance: From Leather and Cowboy to Musk and Tru American, Tru Western has the men's fragrance you're looking for. For masculine scents that last all day, Tru Western is the cologne choice you can feel great about.
- Tru Western: Established in 1969, Tru was built through handshake agreements and a sacred trust that each fragrance would be authentically crafted with a clear commitment to quality.
I haven’t forgotten those of you who prefer stronger, more masculine fragrances. Also 100 mL (3.4 fl oz) this cologne is housed in a black bottle printed with gritty vintage type, sealed with a wooden cap.
Named for the American West, Tru Western was established in 1969. Outlaw Cologne is refreshing, yet rugged.
Bergamot, lavender, and fir balsam combine to give you a sharp, fresh, and sweet introduction to the scent. Green fir notes are carried into the center, and the fragrance closes out with amber, mahogany and sandalwood for a woodsy, spicy, and sensual finish.
Sandalwood is more prominent in this fragrance in comparison to the last two. Outlaw can be worn each day throughout the year but is a better fit for older men than younger ones.
- Affordable price
- More noticeable woodsy fragrance
- Good value
- Can be worn daily
- Might be too robust for some people
- Reapplication might be necessary
4. Classic Splash-On: Taylor of Old Bond Street Luxury Sandalwood Cologne
- 3.3 oz./100 ml
- All Time English Classic
- Masculine, Confident Scent
- Perfect for All Occassions
A classic in both application and scent. Owned by another London-based men’s grooming company, this one has been family-owned since 1854.
Luxury Sandalwood Cologne is also 100 mL (3.4 fl oz) and poured into a clear glass bottle with a rounded metal cap.
If you’re interested in a sandalwood cologne that will last you a full day, then you’ll have to try this one. Not only does it have longevity, but there’s also a strong sillage trail as well.
Surprisingly, this scent has remained the same over the years. It has a timeless presence that’s reminiscent of a vintage barber shop.
Many of the top notes are similar to previous fragrances’ top and middle notes.
Top notes for this cologne include: geranium, fougère (fern), lavender, amber, and rosemary. In the middle, there’s more fougère, and it’s combined with orange blossom and carnation, which offers spicy notes.
As it dries down, sandalwood is accompanied by patchouli, vetiver, rock rose, and musk.
Earthy, musky, and fresh. This is a middle of the road cologne that can be worn daily by men of any age, but older men seem to gravitate towards this scent more than younger ones.
- Long lasting aroma
- Pleasant, after-shower scent
- Strong sillage
- There’s a fill collection of related grooming products
- There isn’t a spray nozzle; must apply with hands
- Sandalwood isn’t dominant enough for some people
5. Natural Formula: St. James of London Sandalwood & Bergamot Cologne
- 1.69 oz. / 50ml
- All Natural
- An unforgettably elegant and masculine scent, our Sandalwood and Bergamot cologne makes a statement
- Warm and calming, sandalwood carries the reputation of a lasting, classic fragrance.
Established in 1953, St. James of London makes all-natural men’s grooming products. Originally based in the United Kingdom, the company was purchased by an American in 2013. Using the same formulas, products are still made in small batches of six different fragrance collections.
Upon initial glance, it seems to be reasonably priced. It turns out that you’ll pay about the same amount for a bottle that’s half the size. This bottle holds 50 mL (1.69 fl oz).
According to their website, Sandalwood & Bergamot Cologne is formulated for gentlemen who attract “attention without having to demand it.”
There’s no alcohol, parabens, or sulfates, so this formula might work well for individuals with sensitive skin. The natural formula also prevents allergic reactions for those with fragrance sensitivities.
Bergamot and jasmine are the top notes. There aren’t any middle notes listed on the box. Long-lasting base notes include sandalwood, amber, and vanilla.
It’s a simple combination of fragrance accords that can be worn all day and into the early night. Classic enough to be worn year-round, this fragrance is modern and balanced.
One caveat is that this cologne has poor longevity. It lasts only for a few hours before needing to be reapplied to the skin. This is especially a bummer considering that you’ll receive less product per purchase.
- All-natural formula
- Scent doesn’t overpower you
- Alcohol-free formula
- Full system of products in this scent
- Small bottle for the price
- Might have to use more for basic scent effect
Thoughts on Choosing the Best Sandalwood Cologne
Sandalwood is a calming scent that can help reduce anxiety and possibly lower blood pressure levels. A memorable fragrance, it evokes warmth with its spicy and woody sweetness.
The fragrance is associated with lush, exquisiteness, which is why it’s often added to fragrances for people who are middle-aged and older.
If you or your gift recipient are drawn to timeless and lush fragrances, then the creaminess of sandalwood might make for a great selection.
More about Sandalwood
Sandalwood trees are found in the tropical climates of southern Asia. There are various types – about 25 different species – but not all of them are fragrant.
True sandalwood is of the Santalum album family. These true sandalwood trees are grown in India, and their related species are grown in Australia and the South Pacific.
The fragrant wood that’s sourced from these trees and used in colognes, perfumes, and cosmetic products is heartwood. This is the wood found at the very core of the tree trunk, and it can take 30 years, preferably more, to grow wide enough to source.
Heartwood is also used to make furniture and in building construction projects. It’s usually the wood that’s distilled to draw out the precious sandalwood oil, but its roots also contain oil.
Purchasing Sandalwood Fragrances
Trees in the sandalwood family are at risk of being an endangered species. Sourcing the heartwood of these trees is done under strict oversight.
The length of time it takes for them to grow is another reason why similar species were planted in non-native areas, like Australia.
As a result, prices have soared for precious Indian sandalwood. Species grown in Australia and the South Pacific are more accessible, sustainable, and less costly.
With an understanding of how challenging it can be to obtain sandalwood oil, it’s clear that purchasing it is a privilege and any product made with true sandalwood is something to be treasured.
So, before selecting one of the suggested colognes, really think about the one(s) that you believe you’ll enjoy wearing the most. Below are some tips.
You probably noticed a theme amongst all of the scent notes. Many of them incorporated citrus, fougère, and herbal notes on the top or in the middle. Occasionally, there were floral notes in the middle as well. Almost all of them added an additional wood at the base along with other lasting scents like vanilla or amber.
It helps to read through the list of fragrance layers. Think about colognes you’ve had in the past that might smell similar. Doing this will help you determine whether or not you might like any of the fragrances that I’ve suggested.
Most of the bottle sizes mentioned above were 100 mL, except for the last one, which was only 50 mL. If you plan for occasional use, then a smaller bottle is sufficient. But for daily use, it would be more economical to order the 100 mL bottles, unless you prefer to use natural products.
What you want to avoid is keeping an unused open bottle in your closet for years on end. If you don’t think you’ll like the scent, it would be better to either purchase a sample first or select a different fragrance altogether.
Value for the Price
As a general rule, it’s best to avoid paying a high price for any cologne that you haven’t yet tried. If this will be a new fragrance for you, then you might want to purchase a sample first.
Online retailers like FragranceNet, FragranceX, or even Microperfumes, have a wide selection of colognes to choose from. Oftentimes, bottles of cologne on these sites are reasonably priced. But Microperfumes has perfected the sample corner of the market. You can choose from three different sizes and the prices for their samples are often the best.
Some of the suggested products are created by smaller companies that don’t sell designer fragrances. In such cases, you might have to purchase samples directly from the company before buying a full bottle.
For instance, St. James of London sells small 5 mL samples of their scented grooming products. You’d be able to try all six scents in at least one product type. There don’t appear to be any cologne samples.
Ingredients used can also add value. Although the St. James of London Sandalwood & Bergamot Cologne comes in a smaller bottle, you might value the fact that it’s an alcohol-free formula that has fewer additives than the other brands.
It’s all a matter of preference. I can only suggest that you try to get the most out of whichever brand you choose.
When searching for the quintessential sandalwood cologne, the clear winner would be Tru Western Outlaw Men’s Cologne. It’s rugged and spicy but with a smooth finish that won’t overwhelm you.
When considering aromatic accords, I’d personally choose Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood Cologne for its more balanced accords. But this is a personal preference, and you’ll have to also consider your own likes and dislikes before making a decision.